Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ice

The Olympic people made a statement, in response to a KID dying on the luge before the start of the Winter Olympics, that was ice cold. I'm sure in an effort to not get their ass sued off, they released a statement- blaming the the violent death on the athlete, not the track. Although they reworked the track, AND had the racers starting from a totally different point- we're somehow supposed to believe that the racer is at fault for smacking into exposed steel?

What really makes me angry is that even if this was a fluke and it ended up being this kids fault- at the very least the Olympic committee could, I don't know, have spent an additional mil or two and hired a team of writers who have at least mastered the language enough to fire off a statement that was sympathetic to the untimely (and from the sound of it gruesome) death of a young athlete.

I was happy to hear that I wasn't the only person who was still wondering about this; David Letterman actually made a comment about it, and it reflected my own thoughts:

“A ‘mistake’? I just wonder if it had anything to do with those exposed steel girders… Don’t blame the kid, for god’s sake. He had said to his dad. ‘I think something’s a little haywire here; I’m a little bit frightened about the track'…For them to say that he made a mistake, that just stinks.

"Why is it that they then repaired the track and covered up the girders and started [the race] from the wormen’s starting point? You know what it is? It’s hypocrisy, ladies and gentlemen."

No comments:

Post a Comment